Alton Pancras (St. Pancras)
St. Pancras, Alton Pancras
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B Nichols, 1861-1873, Vol. 4, 1873, pp. 459-462.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 75.
- Pitfield, F.P., Dorset parish churches A-D. Milborne Port:
Dorset Publishing Company, 1985, pp. 30-32.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 3,
Central Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, Pt. 1, pp. 1-2.
Current church guide (available 1998):
Church of Alton St. Pancras, Dorset. Piddletrenthide: Alton St.
Pancras PCC, May 1981.
A 8 page A5 sized booklet comprising an
illustrated guide to the church and churchyard. There is also a paragraph
on St. Pancras of Rome. The acknowledgements state that some of the
research was carried out by Frances Mallett and that the illustrations are
by Joan Ralph.
There are four bells, restored by Taylors of Loughborough in 1980 so
that they can be chimed. Some pieces of the old wooden frame are stored in
the tower. Canon Raven (1904, p. 137) gives details of the bells as
Four bells. Tenor - Diam., 41in.; height, 33in.
- Anno Domini 1596
- + Maria [in black letter]
- + AVE GRCIA (sic) PLENA [in Lombardic letters, c.f. RCHME
(1970, p. 1)]
- NH. RI. C.W. T.P. An no do my ni 1664.
H.B. Walters (1938, p. 108) identifes the Treble as being by William
Warre of Leigh, 1596. The Second and Third bells are medieval: the Second
being late 15th century, probably from the Salisbury foundry (RCHME, 1970,
p. 1); the Third probably 14th century. The Tenor is by Thomas Purdue of
the Closworth foundry, 1664.
- J.J. Raven, The Church Bells of Dorset. Proceedings
of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club, Vol. 25,
1904, p. 137, 140.
- H.B. Walters, Dorset Church Bells.
Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological
Society, Vol. 60, 1938, p. 108.
- RCHME, An inventory of
historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 3, Central Dorset.
London: HMSO, 1970, pp. 1-2.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 13 April 2014.