Blandford Forum (St. Peter and
St. Peter and
St. Paul's Church, Blandford Forum from East Street, March 2014.
Newman and Pevsner (p. 95) say that the centre of the Dorset town of
Blandford Forum "forms one of the most satisfying Georgian ensembles
anywhere in England". That this is so is the result of a great
Tragedy, the destruction of much of the town centre's by fire in 1731. The
rebuilding of the town was entrusted to William and John Bastard, two
brothers who lived in the town.
The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul was built in 1733-9 by the Bastard
brothers. Hutchins (1861, p. 224) describes it as "an elegant modern
- Betjeman, J., Sir John Betjeman's guide to English parish
churches, revised and updated by Nigel Kerr. London: HarperCollins,
1993, p. 180.
- Colvin, H.M., The Bastards of Blandford: architects and
master-builders. Archaeological Journal, CIV, 1947, pp.
- Cox, B., Around Blandford Forum in old photographs.
Gloucester: Sutton, 1989.
- Cox, B.G., The book of Blandford Forum: the story of the
town's past. Tiverton: Dorset Books, 1993.
- Cox, B.G., Blandford Forum: a pictorial history. Chichester:
- Dorset Historic Churches Trust, Dorset Churches.
[Dorchester]: DHCT, 1988, p. 10.
- Hope, M., Dorset. In: Humphrey, S.C., ed., Blue guide: churches
and chapels of southern England. London: Black; New York: Norton,
1991, pp. 188-189.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873, Vol. 1, 1861, pp. 224-227.
- Jenkins, S. England's thousand best churches. London: Allen
Lane, the Penguin Press, 1999, pp. 147-148.
- Mee, A., ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 29-36.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 96-97.
- Pitfield, F.P., Dorset Parish Churches, A-D. Milborne Port:
Dorset Publishing Company, 1981 , pp. 73-76.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 3,
Central Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, Pt. 1, pp. 19-22.
- Sackett, T. and Sackett, E., Francis Frith's Dorset Churches.
Salisbury: Frith Book Co., 2000, pp. 98-99.
- Webb, G., John and William Bastard, of Blandford. Burlington
Magazine, Vol. 47, July-December 1925, pp. 144-150.
8, 19-3-5 in E.
The Fire Monument
Blandford Forum Fire Monument, erected by John
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 24 March 2014.