Catherston Leweston (St Mary)
St Mary's Church, Catherston Leweston (2009)
This small church is by John Loughborough Pearson of 1858. The
walls are of Blue Lias in what Pevsner calls a "crazy-paving
- Betjeman, J., Sir John Betjeman's guide to English parish
churches, revised and updated by Nigel Kerr. London: HarperCollins,
1993, p. 181.
- Catherston Leweston Church History, Golden Cap Benefice: http://www.goldencapbenefice.org.uk/catherston-church-history
- Dorset Historic Churches Trust, Dorset Churches.
[Dorchester]: DHCT, 1988, p. 17.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B. Nichols, 1861-1870, Vol. x, p. x
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 130.
- Pitfield, F.P., Dorset parish churches, A-D. Milborne Port:
Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp. 150, 152.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 1, West Dorset.
London: HMSO, 1952, p. 70.
Canon Raven (1904, p. 93) reports that there is one bell with a
diameter of 17 inches, cast from a piece of brass cannon taken from the
Russians at Sebastopol during the Crimean War.
- J.J. Raven, The Church Bells of Dorset. Proceedings
of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club, Vol. 25,
1904, p. 93.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 5 August 2009.