Axminster, Devon (St. Mary)
A large church with a tall central tower. The crossing tower piers are 13th century; the chancel is mostly 14th century and contains two effigies, thought to be Gervase de Prestaler (13th cent.) and Alice de Mohun (ca. 1257). Much of the northern part of the nave was rebuilt in the 1520s. There was more rebuilding in the nineteenth century (the plain south aisle was added in around 1800) before restoration by Edward Ashworth (1870) and Willliam Weir (1923).
[ To Dorset Churches Index Page | To Churches Elsewhere Index Page ]
Maintained by Michael Day
Last updated: 5 August 2013.