Dorchester (St. Peter)
St. Peter's Church, Dorchester (2007)
Dorchester's main church, mostly Perpendicular in style.
- Beatty, C. J. P., Thomas Hardy and the restoration of St. Peter's Church, Dorchester, 1856-57: Two contemporary reports from the Dorset County Chronicle. St Peter Port, Guernsey: Toucan Press, 1978.
- Betjeman, J., Sir John Betjeman's guide to English parish
churches, revised and updated by Nigel Kerr. London: HarperCollins,
1993, p. 182.
- Dorset Historic Churches Trust, Dorset Churches.
[Dorchester]: DHCT, 1988, p. 23.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster: Nichols,
- Mee, A., ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 82-95.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, pp. 178-179.
- Pitfield, F.P., Dorset parish churches, A-D. Milborne Port:
Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp. 225-228.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 1, pp. 107-110.
- Sackett, T. and Sackett, E., Francis Frith's Dorset Churches.
Salisbury: Frith Book Co., 2000, pp. 56-57.
- Underdown, D., Fire from heaven: life in an English town in the seventeenth century. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1992.
8, 20 cwt. in Eb.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 5 April 2014.