Manston (St. Nicholas)
St. Nicholas's Church, Manston, Dorset
The church can be found adjacent to Manston House, a short walk from the main road along a private drive. The perpendicular west tower (with its fine carvings) is dated 1534, while parts of the chancel and north aisle (now curtained off from the main part of the church) are Early English. The interior is adorned by a fine barrel roof.
- John Hutchins, The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson,
Westminster: J.B. Nichols and Sons, 1861-1873.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, pp. 266.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 3,
Central Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 2, pp. 143-144.
5, 6-3-18 in Bb.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 9 November 2014.