Moreton (St. Nicholas)
Moreton Church, Dorset, from the north (March 2014)
A small "Gothick" estate church dating from 1776; restored after bomb damage in the Second World War with engraved windows by Lawrence Whistler. T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) is buried in the cemetery on the other side of the road.
- Betjeman, J., Sir John Betjeman's guide to English parish
churches, revised and updated by Nigel Kerr. London: HarperCollins,
1993, pp. 183-184.
- Dorset Historic Churches Trust, Dorset Churches. [Dorchester]: DHCT,
1988, p. 36.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873, Vol. 1, 1861, pp. 401-405.
- Jenkins, S. England's thousand best churches. London: Allen
Lane, the Penguin Press, 1999, p. 158.
- Mee, A., ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 165-168.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, pp. 300-301.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 1, pp. 174-175.
- Sackett, T. and Sackett, E., Francis Frith's Dorset Churches.
Salisbury: Frith Book Co., 2000, p. 77.
Moreton Church, Dorset, from the south-east (March 2014)
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 30 March 2014.