Portland (St. Andrew)
Ruins of the old Church of St. Andrew, Portland and
Rufus (Bow and Arrow) Castle overlooking Church Ope Cove.
Portland's old church, which can be found on the east side of the island above Church Ope Cove (near Wakeham). The church was abandoned in 1756, due to the danger of landslips, and replaced by a new church built at Reforne, dedicated to St George.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873.
- Mee, A., ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 186-191.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 341.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 2, p. 249.
Ruins of the old Church of St. Andrew, Portland
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 14 March 2015.