Poxwell (St. John the Evangelist)
The church stood next to Poxwell Manor House, but was demolished in 1969. It dated from 1868, and was designed in Early English style by G. Evans of Wimborne. Harry Goodhart-Rendel (quoted by Newman and Pevsner) was broadly uncomplimentary ('soulless' and 'inexpert'), while Frederick Treves described it as a "singularly stiff modern church."
- Arthur Mee, ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 192-193.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 346.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 2, p. 260.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 6 August 2013.