St. John's Church, Seaborough, Dorset
Part of Somerset until 1896, the remote village of Seaborough can be found on the Somerset and Dorset border between Broadwindsor and Crewkerne.
John Golde donated a parcel of land for the building of a new church in the fifteenth century. A transept was added in the sixteenth century, but this was rebuilt in the early eighteenth century (1729), when this part was found to be "defective and inconvenient" (Collinson, p. 174). The whole church was enlarged in 1882, to a design of Crickmay of Weymouth. Amongst other memorials, the church contains a thirteenth-century stone effigy of a crusader, probably of an earlier John Golde.
2, in bell-cote.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day, Last updated: 16 April 2012.