Shillingstone (Holy Rood)
Holy Rood Church, Shillingstone (2013)
15th century west tower, the rest either Norman or 19th century (north arcade and north aisle by F. W. Hunt, 1888; roof decoration by G. F. Bodley,
1902-3). There is also a Norman font of Purbeck marble, a 17th century pulpit and an early inscribed stone monument (coffin lid) known as the
- Betjeman, J., Sir John Betjeman's guide to English parish
churches, revised and updated by Nigel Kerr. London: HarperCollins,
1993, pp. 184-185.
- Hutchins, J. The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by W. Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster:
J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873.
- Mee, A., ed., Dorset: Thomas Hardy's country. The King's
England. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1939, pp. 224-226.
- Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The buildings of England: Dorset.
Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 391.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 3,
Central Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 2, pp. 238-240.
- Sackett, T. and Sackett, E., Francis Frith's Dorset Churches.
Salisbury: Frith Book Co., 2000, p. 96.
A view of Child Okeford and Shillingstone from the slopes of Okeford Down (between Turnworth and Okeford Fitzpaine)
6, 15-2-9 in E.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day
Last updated: 8 April 2013.