West Orchard (St. Luke)
St Luke's Church, West Orchard, Dorset
Mostly rebuilt by T. H. Wyatt in 1876-77, although parts of the 15th century chancel remain. The church is modestly sized with a bell-cote containing two bells. Both are fifteenth century and are (probably) from a Salisbury foundry (Dalton, vol. III, p. 759).
- John Hutchins, The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson,
Westminster: J.B. Nichols and Sons, 1861-1873.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 446.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 4, North
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1972, p. 115.
2, in bell-cote.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 3 December 2014.