Creech Grange chapel (former Church of St John), Dorset
Creech Grange chapel, the former Church of St. John the Evangelist, can be found down a drive just to the north of Creech Grange House. Pevsner notes that a chapel was built here in 1746 to house the c. 12th century Norman chancel arch of the former Holme Priory (East Holme). The current church was added between 1849-68 in a general Norman style, but with an Italianate tower. In its original form, the church was a chapel of ease to the parish of Steeple. The church was declared redundant in 1983 and is now privately owned.
Raven (1904, p. 122) merely notes that there was one small modern bell, "of no interest." Dalton (2000, p. 235) elaborates and notes that it has the inscription: "C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1849," that it has a diameter of 19", weighs 1-1-25, and has a note of D. He points out that expansion in the surrounding iron apparatus has broken two cannons off the bell.
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day, Last updated: 27 May 2014.