Winterbourne Farringdon (ruined church)
Ruined church, Winterbourne Farringdon . Traces of the deserted village are visible in the surrounding fields.
Visible from the road linking Whitcombe and Winterbourne Came with
Winterbourne Herringston, the ruins of the east gable end of St German's Church are just visible amongst the earthworks of the deserted mediaeval
village of Winterbourne Farringdon. Newman and Pevsner (p. 477) describe the village as "well preserved" and note that the ruins of the church are a
rebuilding, making use of a C14th window and stones from a C15th archway.
- John Hutchins, The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson,
Westminster: J.B. Nichols and Sons, 1861-1873.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, pp. 477.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 2, pp. ?.
- South Winterborne Local History pages: http://www.dths98.co.uk/james/winterborne/farringdon.php
- Photographs on Geograph: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/444553 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/844881
Ruins of St German's Church, Winterbourne Farringdon 
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 9 May 2011.